Can-Con’s coming up in about 3 sleeps. YAY. Cons are amazing to meet other fans, writers and fellow Fandomers. And in order to make it the best Can-Con it can be I thought I’d review some
Common Sense Con Manners Guidelines.
It’s a pretty short guideline. It’s pretty much just one rule, really.
DBAA – Don’t Be An Asshole.
Let’s review in some role play situations:
- You feel like someone isn’t as big a fan of your fandom as you are? – DBAA. Ask how they got into the fandom, there’s probably common ground.
- Someone younger asks who Heinlein is? DBAA. Tell them he wrote Starship Troopers. Then, maybe, warn them about the incest thing.
- Someone older poo-poos Video Games? DBAA. Would you kindly tell them about how Video Games are telling interesting stories these days?
- Someone who is a visible minority mentions that they are upset about lack of diversity?DBAA. Listen to them. Especially if you are white and/or male.
- Someone gets a fact wrong? DBAA. Wait until they’ve finished speaking. Gently correct them, preferably not in front of an audience.
- You see a cosplayer? DBAA. Ask for a pcicture if you’d like to take one. Don’t comment on the body type, or any aspects other than to
- ask how they made it
- compliment them on how good it looks
- if they’re a child pretend they are the real character.
- You want to hug a lady who isn’t interested? – DBAA. Shake her hand instead. Then let go when she does.
And if someone is antagonizing you, remember not to feed the Trolls. Just go to a staff/volunteer/security and inform them what is happening and they will take care of it.
Happy Can-Con-ing! I’ll be talking more about how best to experience your con at my panel “So this is your first con” this weekend, Friday at 7pm.
Hope to see you there.